Friday, November 12, 2010

11/ 15 Reading Notes

Digital Libraries

It seems like every time I learn about the origins of complex or innovative internet-based or -focused technologies, the US government is buried somewhere in its murky past.... It would be nice to think that this whole global community formed organically around freedom and opportunity, but I guess that's not the case.
You're welcome, all of you, for my tax dollars (and my parents') which made this all possible.


Dewey Meets Turing

So it was the Web that brought sex appeal to Library Science.... At least for computer scientists. I wondered why it was so irresistible.
I usually dislike tragedies where no one learns a lesson. This is no exception. I'm not surprised that the nerds and the...other nerds (I guess) couldn't agree over the prioritization of grant allocations. If I had to fight for a free pass to work on whatever I wanted to for the foreseeable future, I would be snippy, too. In the end, the computer scientist won (in my humble opinion), because their field is young and hip, and librarianismshipdom is seen as old and stodgy.
And have you notices that they don't make clothes for us anymore? Everything in stores is targeted toward them!


Institutional Repositories

I'm interested to hear more about this in class. I'm not clear on the normal scope of an IR. Also, do some institutions pool their resources to limit the costs, or should each institution have their own repository? Does anyone else feel feel awkward typing "repository?"

1 comment:

  1. It is true that librarians are viewed as stogy and totally un-hip. In the movies it's always the computer nerds that save us from some great computer tragedy. Librarians get the short end of the stick: in movies they're weird introverted people that only know facts and often have no social skills. Ironically, that's most computer nerds I know. But I digress.
    Yeah, the fact that the articles had the phrase "sex appeal" and "repository" in them made me wince.

    ReplyDelete