Saturday, November 20, 2010

11/ 22 Reading Notes

Web Search Engines

Like usual, what is most striking to me about the internet in general is the scope of it, and the speed with which it can be navigated. Searched not take less than a second to complete, yet so much is accomplished in so little time, and with such good (usually) results.


Current Developments...OAI....

It seems like this group has OAI pretty well covered. Their future plans, which seem ambitious, will no doubt rely on the cooperation of other parties, and (like Dublin) on the general acceptance of their work. This all looks wildly complicated to me.

The Deep Web

I love the language employed in this discussion: deep, "animalcules," spidering, crawlers; it's all terribly romantic.... I want to bring Indiana Jones or Steve Zissou with me to explore it.
I'm a bit murky on the content of the Deep Web. I know that it is way bigger than the surface internet. I know that because the author mentioned it about seventy times. Maybe I missed this information in the text, but other than vague databases, what exactly are these enormous sited hidden menacingly beneath the surface?

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the language in the Deep Web article! I've noticed in a lot of my classes that technology metaphors are very nature-bound. "Capturing" and "harvesting" are two of my favorites. I'm not sure what it means, but I think it's cool.

    I found Table 2 in that article to be helpful in explaining what exactly makes up the deep web. Amazon.com and Jstor.org are two big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Indiana Jones made the article into a movie cause that would be so much cooler!

    I also was wondering where all these deep web content is.

    Thanks Rachel M for pointing out Amazon.com as a big one...never thought of that. I was just thinking of things like JSTOR

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's hidden menacingly under the surface? The Kraken. (I'm partial to the Pirate of the Caribbean one, not the Clash of the Titans one (remake or otherwise).)

    That aside, the deep web article was terribly fishing oriented. I felt like I needed one of those hats with hooks in it and one of those heavy duty fishing poles. But of course, if one goes fishing in the deep web and comes up with Amazon.com, I imagine one needs a large net as well. Er . . . that was an unintended pun.

    ReplyDelete