Saturday, December 4, 2010

12/ 06 Reading Notes

No Place to Hide: Can You Believe Obama is Allowing This?

This sounds like the title to the best Steven Seagal film I never saw.

I can't get too worked up about this. There's not a lot going on at the point where national security intersects with my personal information. So much about the government bothers me that this doesn't stick out all that much. It is interesting, though, that librarians collectively soil themselves (which is almost never a dignified response) at the mention of releasing a patron's borrowing or browsing activity to the government, when clearly the government is only asking as a courtesy. It could easily find out anything it wants to by itself.


EPIC


This happens to be my Street/Rap alias.
Like Kaitlyn said, the goals and procedure outlined here are vague. I guess it would need to be so they can play loosely in court, if it comes to that. I can't bring myself to be too worried about this: the laws that define terrorism haven't been altered to include me...yet.
I do think that we as a society feel the right to know everything about anyone we want to, and that particularly private people are viewed with suspicion, yet we are outraged that the government is tracking our phones and the tiny transmitters in our dental work.

They're-Watching-You-tube
The lame-duck Congress had this public video removed, so I cannot speak directly to it, but I feel like my privacy rights have been violated because said video was "disappeared" before it could explain to me that my privacy rights are being violated.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like conspiracy theory is alive and well and as a child of the sixties I can only say my paranoia runs deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The FBI has to have a warrent to ask for records. And in my system, 98% of the librarians didn't realize that the item records kept track of who checked them out in the past year. There was an uproar. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete